Friday, February 17, 2006

Valentine's Day (ooh la laa)






My man is so good to me... we had a wonder full valentine's day! After giving me a dozen red roses AND potted red tulips AND the sweetest card I ever read (it made me cry), Frank took me for a walk on the bluff of my childhood farm, along the river. The almods were blooming and the smell of honey (and cow manure) was fresh in the air. We walked and talked and watched the sun set (sigh). When we pulled onto the long dirt driveway we stopped to talk to my old neighbor, Mike, who was working in the yard (as usual). He and Nadine have the most beautiful garden! While chatting with him we noticed that half of the orchard had already been pulled out. Wow, it looked different.

We knew it would happen one day but I just didn't expect to see it so soon... all things change in time don't they? I had so many dreams about the "home place" as a child and teen... I was a little sad to see someone else taking over with different dreams and ambitions (not to say they are bad ones). But then when I look at our pictures now, days later, and see my smiling husband I realise that I have better dreams and ambitions to look forward to... raising children and making a home with him. These seem much more adventurous than holding on to the old dreams. I still dream of the home place and haven't fully let it go, but having new dreams comforts me. I am also comforted by the words of our Lord in John 14:1-4
"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going."
This world is not our home is it?


2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:02 AM

    "This world is not our home is it?" No it really isn't but it is so easy to forget that small detail and cling to the familiar. I am trying to learn this lesson well instead of kicking and screaming. Your valentine experience on the farm brought back bittersweet memories. Thank you for refreshing my mind. love you. mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. lump in throat. thanks for sharing the pics mel.

    ReplyDelete