I just finished reading The Shack, by William Young. It was amazing to say the least. It's a fictional story about a man, Mack who is struggling through a family crisis when God invites him to spend the weekend with him at "the shack". God revels himself to Mack as the three persons of the trinity. Mack watches their interactions and participates in conversations with them regarding his suffering. He asks them all the questions you and I would ask when we are depressed and confused about the consequences of evil in the world. My favorite part of the book is when Mack, after a weekend of answers, revelations and much healing from God, asks what he is to do with all of this when he gets back home. Here is a small portion of God's answer...with large sections of dialogue taken out between each response. Mack asks, "What do you expect of me now?" (After my own mountain top experiences I ask him the same question)
GOD: "....I give you an ability to respond and your response is to be free to love and serve in every situation, an therefore each moment is different and unique and wonderful. Because I am your ability to respond, I have to be present in you. If I simply gave you a responsibility, I would not have to be with you at all. It would now be a task to perform, an obligation to be met, something to fail...
MACK: ".... Are you saying you have no expectations of me?"
GOD: "Honey, I've never placed an expectation on you or anyone else. The idea behind expectations requires that someone does not know the future or outcome and is trying to control behavior to get the desired result. Humans try to control behavior largely through expectations. I know you and everything about you. Why would I have an expectation other than what I already know? That would be foolish. And beyond that, because I have no expectations, you never disappoint me."
MACK: "...But don't you want us to set priorities? You know: God first, then whatever, followed by whatever?"
GOD: "... If you put God at the top, what does that really mean and how much is enough? How much time do you give me before you can go on about the rest of your day, that part that interests you so much more?..... I don't just want a piece of you and a piece of your life. Even if you were able, which you are not, to give me the biggest piece, that is not what I want. I want all of you and all of every part of you and your day....I want to be at the center of everything. When I live in you, then together we can live through everything that happens to you. Rather than a pyramid, I want to be the center of a mobile, where everything in your life- your friends, family, occupation, thoughts, activities- is connected to me but moves with the wind, in and out and back and forth, in an incredible dance of being. And I, I am the wind."
This book stirred within me the desire to know the true nature of God... it showed me that I think of God like he's a human with power. It's on the New York Times Bestseller list and I highly recommend it. It's an easy read and not very long for those of you with no time for or interest in reading. Check it out!
No comments:
Post a Comment